You may apply for admission to the Honors Program after having completed at least 24 graded credits at LAU, excluding the remedial courses, with a minimum CGPA of 3.5.
Applications are opened once per year in June and the deadline to apply for the Honors Program is published by the concerned Office for every academic year.
Once the recruitment campaign is launched, you may apply using this form.
The Honors Program does not select students based solely on academic achievement, but also on academic approach. That is, the program will only include students who seem to take an active approach to learning, who seem willing to take ownership of personal education and make the most of their experience at LAU. Hence, the selection process will include an interview, and students will be notified of the final decision.
To find out more about whether you qualify and what to do next, read below.
Requirements and Rules
- Honors courses, identified by the letter H next to their number, are offered each semester exclusively for Honors Program students. Honors sections will be limited (no more than 25 students per class) in order to enhance learning and maximize interaction among students and faculty.
- You must complete six honors courses (18 credits).
- To be eligible to stay in the program, you are expected to maintain a clean record (no violations of academic integrity) and a CGPA of 3.5 if you are majoring in Bioinformatics, Biology, Business, Computer Science, Economics, Political Sciences, English and Psychology, or 3.2 CGPA(excluding freshman credits) if you are majoring in Engineering and Architecture and have completed more than 90 credits. If your CGPA falls below the minimum required CGPA, but is at least 3.0, you will be placed on Honorary probation for one semester (excluding summer). If you fail to earn the required CGPA by the end of the probationary semester, you will be dismissed from the Honors Program.
- In order to graduate from the Honors Program, you are expected to obtain a minimum CGPA and honor courses GPA of 3.5 for all majors in the program except engineering and architecture. However for Engineering and Architecture, a minimum CGPA and honor courses GPA of 3.2 apply.
- You must complete 3 or 4 Honors courses from the Liberal Arts Curriculum, and 2 or 3 major-specific Honors courses. All engineering honors students are required to finish 3 LACS and 3 major courses.
- You must complete 3 workshops, which are zero-credit courses restricted for Honors students. These workshops develop the soft skills that are nowadays an essential requirement for success in your academic life and your career. You can choose from various topics that are offered every semester such as Emotional Intelligence, Life Balance, Goal Setting, Steer your Career, Leadership and Change, Skills of Debate etc…
- Honors courses are not extra courses; they count toward the requirements for LAC and your major.
- Honors courses may not be audited or taken for a P/NP grade.
- Even if you don’t complete all the requirements of the Honors Program, all credits earned in Honors courses will count toward graduation.
- Upon graduation, the distinction of “University Honors” will appear on your transcripts and permanent records.